WHAT IS IT?
Surf forecaster and founder of Wavescape, Spike, gives a multi-media presentation to depict how waves form, how swell moves through the sea, what happens when it arrives at the coast, and how to predict surf. This fascinating, graphical journey brings home the catastrophic power of nature. Forecasting insights give it a unique perspective with appeal to all ocean users or interested parties.
WHO IS IT FOR?
* Ocean sports (surfers, sailors, kiters, boardsailors, divers, paddlers)
* Marine industry (Sailors, harbour workers, lifeguards, fisheries, shipping)
* Recreation (beachgoers, anglers)
* Other (retirees, paragliders, marine tour guides, oil rig staff, naval officers)
WHAT DO WE COVER?
* The genesis of ocean storms
* The destructive force of waves
* Video footage inside intense hurricanes
* Damage by freak waves & tsunamis
* Ways to understand wave period
* Ways to interpret weather models
* Surfcasting tips and tricks
* Storm and big wave case studies
WHAT IS THE FORMAT?
1. Section 1 (40 minutes)
Genesis of storms and swell, how to define and observe swell, and the mathematical connection to energy dictated by the formation of swell
2. Section 2 (30 minutes)
Propagation of swell, role of period, destructive forces, how swell becomes surf, shoaling, storm damage, shipwrecks
3. Section 3 (50 minutes)
The Internet, weather models, prediction and interpreting the data, big wave case studies, questions and open forum
WHAT DO PEOPLE SAY ABOUT IT?
"You've read his twisted humour in the surf reports. Now experience it in person, with 'stories from the deep' - simple explanations of where waves come from, and a generally fascinating delve into weather patterns, storms and swell from around the world. Oh, and you also get a great dinner, a few beers and the chance to skinner with other surfers and kiters. Highly recommended!" -- Ian Henderson (kitesurfer)
"Over the years I have attended dozens of courses on various topics but nothing has the vibe of having a real enthusiast share his passion. Multo obrigado." -- Mike Ohlson, Richards Bay
Tuesday, 15 July 2014. 18h00 - 20h30
The Venue - next to Bridge Street Brewery.
Book online at https://www.quicket.co.za/events/5529-spike-swell-course-port-elizabeth/
Or buy tickets at the door. But if you gonna buy at the door please still shoot Spike a mail to say ya coming.
Also 2 courses in JBay:
Wed 16 July - Jeffreys Bay: Love Food Cafe, 4 Da Gama Road
Thur 17 July - Jeffreys Bay: Surfmasters, TO BE CONFIRMED