Jeepers, the man should buy some lotto tickets considering that he seems to win everything he touches at the moment. On Monday night he took down the 2011 Laureus World Sports Award. It's his 3rd one, also having won the Action Sports person of the year in 2007 and 2009.
Slats turns 39 on Friday, and it's fair to say he's achieved pretty much all there is to achieve. If we strip it down to the numbers it makes scary reading:
- 10 world titles
- youngest (20) and oldest (38) winner of the ASP
- all time leader in career event wins on the ASP (45)
- first surfer to be awarded 2 perfect tens in one heat (Chopes 2005)
- has sung on stage with Ben Harper and Pearl Jam
- had his own band with Rob Machado called The Surfers
- starred in a TV series called Baywatch
- has his own Playstation game
- was voted as one of People magazines "World's 50 Most beautiful people"
- and is basically the best surfer on the planet!
What more is there left to achieve, that's the question. Rumour has it he's considering doing the big wave tour this year, so let's wait and see.
All should be good in the Life of one Robert Kelly Slater, provided of course he never tries his hand at acting again! Many of you will be far too young to remember the horrendous TV series Baywatch which Kelly starred in as Jimmy Slade. Horrendous because of the complete absence of acting skill and their ability to make it appear as if people could drown in about 2ft of water! But hey, provided you pack the screen with hot chicks in bikini's, including one Ms Pamela Anderson, and buffed out ou's, no-one really minds that the storyline is about as advanced as Grade 0 reading.
Check out the snippet below for a good laugh at scary 80's fashion, what Slats looked like with hair (and him shooting the pier) and plenty of completely irrelevant eye candy. And marvel at how a TV show with such kak acting and storyline managed to run for 11 years!!